Saturday, March 20, 2010

The colors of spring




Today is the first day of spring, and it's a Saturday too, so what's not to celebrate? My yard is a mess: tree branches from last week's storm, Sycamore balls, leaves left over from winter, weeds, weeds, and more weeds. I spent four hours raking and bagging and dragging, and I can't see much improvement. But despite all that mess, my spring flowers are making quite a show. All the bulbs in our yard were planted by Helen Glaser, who built our house in 1957. I've done nothing, except throw a little fertilizer on them every few years. They are the gift the keeps on giving. I especially love this pair of daffodils, trapped by the still dormant wisteria vines. They are the first daffodils to bloom in my yard every spring because they get the morning sun. The lenten roses are favorites too. I planted these natives about five years ago, and they get more beautiful every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment